Wednesday, March 7, 2018

A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie

This was another Miss Marple audiobook, and I'm realizing it's hard for me to say if I do or don't like these books when I'm listening to them. Because if I'm listening to them, I stay engaged for the whole time, and I don't speed through it and find out what happens until I slowly plod through it at the same speed. I don't know if that's the whole case, but all I know is, I really enjoyed listening to this one, but then after the fact, I feel like there were lots of things that bugged me about it. This book starts with an announcement of a murder in the newspaper, which everyone takes to be a murder mystery party, but which soon turns out to be an actual murder. The police come in to investigate, and then Miss Marple shows up and helps them out a lot with her great sense and her ability to put things together.

I didn't have a great suspicion or sense of who had done it--although I'm starting to get the sense from reading lots of Christie's books all together that it's always going to be the least likely, most surprising person--but I did feel like there were a lot of unsatisfactory coincidences and random people showing up in this book. At the end, when everything starts to get explained, all of a sudden, half the people aren't all who they said they were, and I don't know that I buy that at all. And then it seems pretty unconvincing that their main strategy for catching the murderer depended on the oh-so-undependable maid acting a part and Miss Marple's voiceover chops... it seemed a little thin at the end. But the rest of the story was pretty well done and I had a great time listening to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment