Monday, June 11, 2018

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

This book is basically a sister to Ella Enchanted in my mind, except that I didn't read it when I was young so I don't love it like I do Ella Enchanted. It's very similar--set in a faraway land, about a determined, young girl who is going to meet the prince, etc. This book is about Miri, who lives in a tiny rural mining community with her family, far away from the rest of the world, until the soothsayers announce that the prince's new bride will come from their little town. So they set up an academy to teach the girls in the town everything they will need to know, and the girls have to learn to get along with each other and how to become like a princess.

I think this would have been a definite favorite for me if I'd read it when I was the right age for it. As it was, I still liked it, but there were definitely some annoying parts (like when Miri is way too outspoken and annoying). But it was very sweet at the same time. I would definitely like to own this for my bookshelf once Lucy is old enough to read it--and its sequels.

No comments:

Post a Comment