Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

I don't think I ever read this book, but I saw the movie countless times as a kid. So many times, in fact, that as I was reading this aloud to Dane and Graham, I was envisioning whole segments of the movie. I felt like the movie followed the book so closely that I felt like I'd read it before. This was SUCH a hit to read aloud with the boys, and Dane really loved it (Graham didn't so much--he still doesn't like sitting to listen. He will kind of listen while doing puzzles). I loved the story of Charlotte doing this great act of service for Wilbur to save his life. But I never realized how totally selfish, self-absorbed, unaware, and annoying Wilbur is. Why does Charlotte even like him? He is totally unaware of Charlotte's needs and problems, and he doesn't even care about her when she says she's about to die. He just is sad that she's leaving him. What the heck?! I was really annoyed by him in that part. But oh well. The story was really sweet and we all really enjoyed it. I wanted to finish this one before Dane's school starts, and we managed to finish it today, the day before kindergarten. So bittersweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment