Thursday, January 17, 2019

Anne of Ingleside by L. M. Montgomery

I loved, loved this book as a kid, but I had less love for it now. There were some sweet stories that I loved in it--like when Jem got his mother a pearl necklace and thought it was real but was heartbroken to find out that it wasn't. There were so many repetitive stories that kind of were the same about her kids, where they get fooled by someone and believe them (because they're so trusting and sweet) then they get heartbroken to learn that they were lied to. I loved those stories when I was younger, but they started to drag after a while. I wish that this book were more about Anne and not so much about her kids--that's what Rainbow Valley is all about, and I loved that one so much when I was younger too--but I wanted more about Anne as a mom. I also wish it were a little more realistic, because it makes it sound like Anne was always perfect and patient and loving and never laughed when her kids did dumb and hilarious things, except once when she had a "Jonah day" and her kids had never heard her talk so sharply to them before. My kids hear me talk sharply to them every single week. It probably was really easy to be perfectly patient and nice with your kids when you have a LIVE-IN MAID/COOK/NANNY who does all the cooking and cleaning and will watch your kids any time you want to leave the house to go on a date with your husband or on a beautiful walk along the beach by yourself. Sure, if I didn't have to make dinner and had ample time to take care of myself then I might be a lot nicer mom too.

Anyway, I didn't love this one as much as I used to, sadly. I hate when things aren't as wonderful as you remember them, but I guess that's part of growing up. At least the first five held up really well, and I'm pretty sure that Rilla of Ingleside will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment