Saturday, July 31, 2021

Sparks Like Stars by Nadia Hashimi

I had literally zero idea what this book was about, but my friend Amanda recommended it to me so I checked it out and started listening to it without reading any sort of summaries or anything. And oh, my goodness... I loved it. I wonder if I loved it more because I didn't have any expectations or idea of what was coming. It's about a girl from Afghanistan who lives through a revolution there in the 1970s, and her whole family is killed before her eyes. She ends up being taken in by an American diplomat living in Kabul at the time, and then they eventually escape and she is adopted by the diplomat. Then the rest of her life is spent trying to escape from her past but also reconcile her current life with it, until she realizes that she needs to find closure and find her family if she can. I feel like this summary doesn't really encapsulate the beauty of the story or the beauty of the country and the culture that Hashimi described so well. It was such a poignant story, but it was paced well and just felt very real. I loved this book so, so much. I was so happy at the ending as well. It's been really awful reading about everything that's been happening in Afghanistan for the last two weeks after I felt a kind of connection to it after listening to this book. The people there are in such danger, just like after what happened in this book--and I just wish there was anything anyone could do to help them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment