Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

I know I have read these books countless times before. But I couldn't travel to England without reading them one more time. (And, of course, this won't be the last. Now I can't read these without thinking about when would be a good age for me to start reading these with the boys. I think we need to wait another year or two for Graham. I want them to be REALLY ready for them.) I really love this first Harry Potter book, though. It's so simple and sweet, once you know the whole story--the magic of Harry discovering he's a wizard and learning about the whole wizarding world and seeing Diagon Alley and Hogwarts and playing Quidditch for the first time never gets old. I will forever remember how much this story gripped me the first time I read it. I remember my heart beating so fast as I read the climactic chapter, and being terrified when Quirrel unwraps his turban and we find out what's underneath. Now it's almost impossible to remember that fear that I felt, but it was real, and that is the magic of these books.

This book truly deserves the adjective of "classic."

No comments:

Post a Comment