Monday, July 25, 2022

So Many Beginnings: A Little Women Remix by Bethany C. Morrow

I am always interested in fan fiction/rewrites of my favorite novels. Sometimes I can be disappointed in really terrible Jane Austen rewrites, but I am always willing to try it. But I'd never read a Little Women rewrite, and when I heard that this was one written about a formerly enslaved Black family living in the freedpeople colony in Roanoke, North Carolina, I immediately was hooked. And I absolutely loved this book. I loved that I learned some interesting history about what happened to enslaved people who became free, and I loved the characters and how Morrow created these versions of the Little Women who were adapted but still recognizable in certain ways. I was really interested in the storyline. There were a few things that I thought weren't super believable--like why would Lorie be content with just being Joanna's friend for forever? And how come the whole family was so well-educated despite just having been freed? I was also kind of hoping for a few of the favorite scenes from the book being adapted to this story, like Jo selling her hair or the big fight between her and Amy. But it was a fun book, I loved the different look at the story set in the Civil War with a black family, and it was definitely worth the read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment