Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Book #2: Wolves, Boys, and Other Things that Might Kill Me by Kristen Chandler

This was a pretty good, actually realistic non-apocalyptic YA novel. The last few YA novels I read recently were The Hunger Games trilogy and Matched and Crossed over Christmas break (Callie was reading them, so I borrowed them and got sucked in) and I thought they were so similar and started to think that ALL YA novels these days are about either vampires or our future world. This book was normal, about a girl living right outside of Yellowstone and her environmental escapades trying to save the wolves (and of course, falling in love in the process). I kind of got lost in all of the wolf information, although I might have just been reading too fast to pick up on all the nicknames and numbers they were referring to the wolves by. (I read it in about 3.5 hours.)

I think a YA novel would be kind of fun to write, to be honest. But I really don't like how they DO all seem to make their love stories so quick. Obviously, they can't write everything that supposedly happened over an entire year, but it just irritates me how both the boy and girl just seem to fall in love with each other without any real reason to be doing so. It makes me want to write a realistic love story to show them how it's done. BUT I'm also pretty sure it's partly the fact that I was the slowest mover on the planet and it just seems weird to me for people to fall in love without really knowing each other, but it's not weird to most people--particularly to the audience this book is reaching out to.

No comments:

Post a Comment