Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Book #18: Someday My Prince Will Come by Jerramy Fine

In my ward book club we had a White Elephant Book Exchange back in December. I opened up this book and then my friend Libby stole it from me. She read it and gave it to me to read after we finished Tess. It only took me about two days, after Tess took me two months (because of all the procrastinating because of how depressing it was). It was the lightest version of a chick-flick book--a super quick read and nothing very substantial about it, so therefore it was fun and easy (exactly what you need after reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles).

Honestly, I almost felt embarrassed while reading this book. Mostly because the author was so unashamedly silly, if that makes sense. The book is a memoir (it's all TRUE) and it's about how she always wanted to be a princess while growing up, was a full-fledged Anglophile and desperately wanted to move to England and marry a prince. And that's what she tries to do throughout the book. And that's all the book is about.

Libby said her favorite part of the book was reading about how English society works and how people get to know each other there (for example, Fine talks about how nobody just introduces themselves to anyone else--you have to be introduced by a mutual friend in order to meet anyone). And I felt the same way; that was really interesting to hear about from a first-person (American) perspective. I also really liked her description of her parents and the crazy things they did (they were hippies--in every true sense of the word). My least favorite part of the book was how she included a bunch of just random stories about her life as she went along on her quest, when they didn't really have anything to do with the overarching narrative of wanting to be a princess. Just silly stories about something her roommates did or something her mom said, like they were meaningful or important enough to include in this book. I feel like it would have been stronger if she would have cut out about 1/4 of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment