Thursday, August 7, 2014

Book #58: Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen

I don't remember where I originally heard about this book, but one of the book bloggers I follow wrote about it and gave a high recommendation for it, but then months (years?) passed and I never got around to it until now. I don't know why memoirs are so fascinating to me, but I especially liked this one (and Truth and Beauty) because they both seemed very thoughtful and honest, and not gimmicky in any way. This book seems to be Quindlen's reflection on her life as she ages, on the actual process of aging and what she's learned in her life and how she loves where she is now. I've never actually read anything else by Quindlen, although now I kind of want to, because her writing style was very easy to follow and filled with sweet anecdotes about friends and family that illustrated the points she was trying to make--although there wasn't really a specific POINT she was ever trying to drive at while she was writing (which I kind of enjoyed!). She just seemed to be meandering through her thoughts, generally about everything she's learned about life now that she's in her sixties (and what she expects to learn in the next few decades). It felt relaxed and relaxing to read.

I really liked how Quindlen seems so content with her life and so happy with her family. So often you read bad things about getting older and all of these unfortunate predictions about what it's like to get old, but she talks about how she wouldn't go back to being younger, how she's happy with her newfound wisdom, how her life is sweet and full of meaning. I also like how she wrote about her mother, who died when she was nineteen, and what she learned after her death (and since). The whole book felt pretty reassuring and uplifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment