Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

I was looking for a quick and easy audiobook to listen to, and I heard that Kenneth Branagh did a recording for the audiobook of this one. And after seeing the movie, which I enjoyed, I imagined Branagh would do an awesome job with all the many accents in this book, and I wanted to revisit this again. I think the book was better than the movie (as usual!) and I liked seeing how Poirot worked this all out. I remember the first time I read this book I was annoyed by how Poirot just seemed to work things out and just randomly figure out what people were in the Armstrong household, and it didn't seem to work really well to me. It also felt that way in the movie when I watched it recently. But for some reason, listening to it this time, I really heard the part where Poirot talks about imagining a household in America with people of all nationalities, and how he placed them all in roles in the drama in his head, and then worked from that imagination. It seemed like it worked a little better than I remember. I love how he works out the whole solution and how he figures out what happened in this book--I remember the first time I read it, it just blew my mind. This is definitely a very well-done one.

No comments:

Post a Comment