Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Enna Burning by Shannon Hale

This is the sequel to The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale, and it has many of the same characters but follows the story of Enna, one of Isi's friends from the first book. In the first book, Isi learns how to speak to the wind and control the wind, and in this book, Enna learns about fire-speaking and how to control and send fire. It's obviously much more dangerous than wind-speaking and much of the book is about how Enna has to learn to control it or be burned up by her new talent. I like how Hale gave more shape to this magic of speaking with inanimate objects; the inner workings of the different types of speaking were really interesting and I thought worked well. I did not love it as much as I did The Goose Girl--it seemed much more violent and Enna was a much more headstrong, flashy character than Isi, which sometimes made her annoying. I hate when characters operate under false assumptions or give themselves false either/or situations, like "I HAVE to use my fire powers or else Bayern will fall." I don't believe that. But otherwise, this was a good book with a satisfying ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment