Tuesday, March 19, 2019

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

I regret listening to this book. I wish I'd read it. That's really rare for me to feel this way--I feel like I usually really enjoy listening to books. But this book was really meant to be read. I loved it, even still, but I feel like I missed a lot of the more important meditations and asides and deeper thoughts that were a part of the narrator's descriptions, and I missed the chance to think about them more like I would have if I were reading this book. I think I might re-read it... someday (since I have a way-too-long list of books to read as it is). I might even buy it, because it was so good, and something that I feel like would be worthwhile to have. This book tells the story of Alexander Rostov, a Russian count who was condemned to house arrest in the Metropol hotel where he was living by the new Russian government in the 1920s. And it covers the next 30 years of him living in the Metropol, how he adjusts to finding a purpose in his life there and how he makes deep relationships with the other people that work and live there. It had some really deep thoughts and meaningful things in it, which I really enjoyed, and it was a beautiful, hopeful story, even though it was set in a kind of scary, dangerous time in Russian/Soviet history.

I would write more, but Lucy is crying and I need to go help her. But definitely a great, great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment