Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Book #42: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

I just can't help loving Agatha Christie. Her mysteries are so 100% absorbing and usually very surprising at the end. The only complaint I've had with several of her books (and very slightly with this one) is that the detective (or whoever solves the mystery) sometimes makes these giant assumptions that help him solve the case--but there isn't enough evidence to explain WHY he made that giant assumption. Usually this happens with Hercule Poirot; Miss Marple does the same thing but usually explains it somewhat satisfactorily with how she was reminded of something that happened in the past. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is a Hercule Poirot mystery (that is, he's the detective who solves the crime) and I loved the ending. I won't spoil it for anyone, but let's just say that of course you're always looking for it to be the least likely person,  and in this case, it definitely was. I kept thinking throughout that it had to be a number of different people, but I was totally wrong. And you don't find out who it was until the last five pages or so! This was definitely a very satisfying mystery, and a quick read--I finished it in about three hours or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment