Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Book #44: The Postern of Fate by Agatha Christie

Another quick Agatha Christie read from the library. This one featured Tommy and Tuppence Beresford, a detective couple I hadn't heard of in any of the other A.C. books I'd read before. I wish I had now, because they seem pretty hilarious: an awesome old couple doing detective work. This is apparently the last book Agatha Christie ever wrote, and it's pretty different in style even from Roger Ackroyd that I read yesterday. She seems very focused on the characters and the conversations that they have instead of the mystery itself; usually the only conversations or incidents that are written into a story are ones that later prove useful or significant towards the plot, but that doesn't exactly seem to be the case here. Tommy and Tuppence (a nickname for Prudence) talk a lot, to each other and to other people, and it seems like 90% of their conversations don't really have much to do with anything.

Like John Grisham or the Nancy Drew books, you can't read too many Agatha Christie novels in a row. (Not that I think two in a row is too many, but many more and you'd start to figure things out too easily, I think.)

No comments:

Post a Comment