Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Book #67: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

This book kind of reminded me of John Green's Looking for Alaska which I read last week. The narrator, an introverted, quiet kid, goes to a new school where he becomes friends with some really outgoing kids who introduce him to all the new life experiences that come with being a teenager (especially the smoking, drinking, and sex). It's a coming-of-age novel in the best sense of the term. Looking for Alaska deals with some really serious philosophical issues, like death and figuring out the meaning of life, but The Perks of Being a Wallflower dealt with other serious issues that many teenagers face in growing up, like sexual abuse and being made fun of for being gay. After reading these two books, I'm convinced that either my high school experience was abnormally sheltered (I'm sure this is true) or these writers overgeneralize the teenager stereotypes of smoking and drinking, etc. I never personally experienced most of the things he has Charlie go through--not even close. And I don't know if Charlie really convinced me that he was a real teenager--he didn't seem self-conscious enough to go along with his shyness and introverted nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment