Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Book #6: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I feel like I know Pride and Prejudice really well--but apparently I've watched the movie/adaptations of it a lot recently but not actually read the book for a while. I know the whole plot, but I was totally surprised by how funny and sarcastic a lot of the story is! The narrator's voice is hilarious. I really loved this re-read. And I couldn't help but love the Mr. Darcy of the book--I don't think it comes through in the shows/movies what a change he undergoes after he proposes to Elizabeth and is rejected the first time. He really was prideful and rude before, but he humbles himself after her words and changes to be much more open and willing to please, just like she changes to acknowledge how prejudiced she was. In the movie, I feel like somehow you get the idea that he was this good guy all along who she just didn't understand until she read his letter of apology and explanation.

I love re-reading these books because I learn/notice new things every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment