Thursday, February 21, 2013

Book #9: Make the Bread, Buy the Butter by Jennifer Reese

I am kind of debating over whether this book even counts as me having "read" it, since it's half a cookbook, but I really, really like the concept behind it so I'm going to count it. Reese chooses a bunch of foods that we consume regularly and tells you whether you should feel guilty about buying them store-bought or if it's worth making them at home. She tells you how much the cost comparison is between homemade and store-bought, and how much the hassle is of making it, and whether she thinks it's worth it. A problem is that she ends up saying that you should make a lot of things, even after she goes on and on about what a hassle they are (which doesn't really make them sound super inviting). But I guess she's a foodie, and it's worth it to her (and let's be honest: a really well-made bagel is worth it to me too, even if it is way more work than buying it), so I guess forewarned is forearmed (or whatever that saying is). She presents recipes for most of the items that she says you should make or make/buy, and I'm really dying to try some of them (like a bagel recipe!). A lot of the things she posts about I would never consider making from home anyways (like cheese--maybe in my next life or when I run out of things to do, ever), so a lot of her recommendations aren't really that useful, but the whole book is still a really great idea. I'm totally keeping this book from the library for a while to try some of the recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment