Monday, February 17, 2014

Book #15: Ruined by Reading: A Life in Books by Lynne Sharon Schwartz

This book was hidden on my "to-read" shelf on my goodreads and I thought I'd try to knock it out. I don't know where I heard about it, but maybe in a list of books about reading from another book I'd read--not sure. This book itself was fine--like I've mentioned before, I like the genre of writing about books and reading. I love hearing other people (who are far better read than me) writing about their love for certain books and how those books and their reading experiences have shaped them; it gets me thinking about the books and reading that shaped me as a child and as an adult. This entire book is basically one long essay where Schwartz reminisces on the importance of reading and reviews certain books that were critical to her. However, I think I read this book too close to a few other books about reading and I'm maybe just tired of it right now, and I have a lot of other books checked out from the library right now that I am itching to get to in reading, so this one felt a little like an imposition to try and get through. I would have probably just stopped reading it except that it was really short--less than 120 pages--so I felt like I might as well power through it once I was already halfway through! I enjoyed this book but it might have been better suited for a more leisurely stroll through instead of the recent frenetic pace I've been keeping with books lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment