Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Book #16: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling

Obviously, I love The Office, like just about everyone else my age, and I've always liked Kelly Kapoor. That's the main reason I even remembered hearing about this book, because I knew that Mindy Kaling was a writer and director for a number of Office episodes and that she therefore must be a pretty hilarious person. And this book is pretty hilarious--it seems like it's just a bunch of semi-unrelated essays about her life, her career, and her random musings about things she does, and she often has really funny things to say. I definitely laughed out loud a good number of times. It was very interesting hearing about how she got to where she "made it," as a writer on The Office staff, how her career started and what steps she took to get to where she wanted to be. I liked reading her funny stories about her childhood as well, but I wasn't as equally interested by the random essays on random things she was thinking about (like "marriage" or Irish exits, etc.). I finished this book in probably 2.5 hours yesterday, while Tommy was finishing up packing for his trip to Utah, and I think that's a reasonable amount of time to have dedicated to this book. It was just a fun piece of fluff--the book equivalent to cotton candy--something I enjoyed quickly and feel no need to revisit or get back into.

No comments:

Post a Comment