Thursday, May 29, 2014

Book #38: Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

I don't know why I've never read this book before, but I'm pretty sure because I've known that the movie made about this book was rated R. And I can see why, because there is a bit of swearing throughout the book. But oh, man, this book is funny! I (obviously) love all adaptations of Jane Austen, and I love how this one does it, with a very, very modern character and a very, very loose and not obvious connection (other than the main love interest being named Darcy). (I feel like sometimes Jane Austen adaptations try too hard or tweak the story too much to make it fit, so I like how this didn't do that.

Bridget Jones is the Elizabeth Bennet character, although she's not much like Lizzie at all (except speaking her mind and saying what she wants to). I just thought that Jones's character was hilarious, how she wrote (since this was her diary, after all) and all of the things she did (like recording her weight every day, and the number of cigarettes each day) and all of her side commentary. I loved reading all of her reactions to the ridiculous situations she'd get put into and how crazy she acted about boys and how she'd deal with stuff with her friends (by going out and getting hammered, of course). It's such a foreign life to the one I lead, haha. Anyways, this book was a perfect, easy, entertaining and fun read for a relaxing Mexican vacation! Nothing too serious for me this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment