Sunday, June 14, 2015

Book #33: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

I can't tell you how many times I have meant to read this book before. I absolutely LOVED Eleanor and Park when I read it last year and thought I would immediately jump to reading this one by the same author but for some reason it kept falling through the cracks. I'm really happy I finally read it. This book is about Cath Avery in her first year at college, in the dorms. She has major anxiety and stress about new situations and new people, so this is a very stressful situation for her--and to make things worse, her twin sister Wren isn't rooming with her. So she does what she's always done--buried herself in her fan fiction, writing a fanfic sequel to her favorite series about Simon Snow (a Harry Potter twin), which gets tens of thousands of hits online. The book has small tidbits of her fanfiction and snippets from the original books that she's writing about, in addition to the main storyline about her freshman year and her relationship with her sister, her dad, and the new life she makes and the way she changes and grows up and tries to take herself out of just living to disappear into her writing. This was such a great story (warning: some language and a few questionable situations) with really awesome characters. I really enjoy Rowell's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment