Thursday, July 16, 2015

Book #40: The One by Kiera Cass

After America's obnoxious ambivalence about her two suitors in the previous two books in this trilogy, I was ready for her to make a decision (and luckily, she HAD to, since this was the last book). However, Cass was determined to turn America into a sort of Katniss overthrowing-the-evil-government figure and got her into developing and meeting with all these rebel groups even as she's deciding (spoiler-but-not-really) that she wants to marry Maxon and take on the responsibility of being a princess. I just didn't really understand the rebel groups in the whole series--they were really terrible at what they were doing and it wasn't clear at all what they wanted. It was seriously contrived and didn't feel like a real conflict at all. I know I've said this in the last two posts about the other books in this series, but that was the main problem about these books--they would have been a lot stronger with a much more condensed plot and a lot less convoluted journey to the climax. I think the main idea behind the original book was interesting, but this money-grubbing idea to turn everything into trilogies that everyone has lately really ruined what promise it had. But in the end, America ends up with Maxon (after one final huge rebellion) and they live supposedly happy ever after. And, to be fair, I felt like Cass's writing style improved over the three books, and even though I didn't ever love how she wrote, her dialogue stopped making me want to hit her and it was much easier to get through by the end (or maybe I was just desensitized to how bad it was).

I know I'm making it sound like these books were terrible, but obviously they weren't that bad because I finished all three of them. I guess that's the thing about these love-triangle stories--even when there are lots of annoying things about them, it's hard to put them down until you know what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment