Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Book #27: The Children of Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren

I feel like I saw this book a few different places while I was looking into finding some chapter books I could read aloud with Dane. I figured that he was probably getting to the point where he could handle a longer story and that he doesn't need pictures to keep his attention any more. I saw this recommended as a good book to read with kids, and since it was written by the author of Pippi Longstocking, I knew it would be a fun read for him. I am SO happy that we read it. It was so cute--it reminded me a lot of the Rainbow Valley book from Anne of Green Gables, with each chapter being an individual story about these kids and their adventures they get up to. There are six kids who all live in three houses next to each other, and everyone calls their little row of houses "Noisy Village" because there are so many children who get up to mischief. Each chapter was only 5-6 pages long and had sweet, fun details about what sorts of things Lisa (the narrator) and her brothers and friends got up to.

This was a perfect, super fun book to read aloud with Dane. We laid on the bed and read 2-3 chapters a day, and he stared up at the ceiling listening and picturing what was going on. He totally absorbed it all and has been calling us "draggletail" from one of the chapters. I loved, loved, loved doing this with him and I cannot wait to read more books with him like this. We ordered this and the sequel from Amazon because just borrowing it from the library is not enough. And I decided I am going to write about them here on this blog so that I can remember what chapter books we read together so I can remember for reading with later kids too.

No comments:

Post a Comment