Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Book #25: A Little Folly by Jude Morgan

This book is a Regency-era story, aka similar to Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer. Therefore, I definitely enjoyed it. I'm very impressed by Morgan's writing style and how well he (I'm guessing it's really a he?) fit into that genre/style. I actually wondered when this book was written and if it were contemporary to the time and I'd just never heard of it. Nope, published in 2006, but it works well.

In the book, brother and sister Valentine and Louisa Carnell are liberated when their overbearing, uber-restrictive father dies and leaves them finally free to live their lives. They immediately befriend their long-lost townie cousins, who sweep them up in a whole new life of social engagements and town life. At first they stay true to their previous morals and opinions, but they slowly both get caught up in "a little folly" that eventually becomes a much bigger deal and exposes both of them to how blind and stupid they've been, in love and in other choices. I liked the main character of Louisa and how loyal and determined to be good she was, and how you see her thought processes throughout and can kind of see how she's being blind (even when she doesn't think so). I enjoyed the story, but I felt part of the middle dragged and could have moved a little more quickly, and didn't totally buy the love triangle (kind of) that Louisa was involved in. But overall, I really enjoyed this, particularly the romance at the end, and how everything resolved itself very satisfactorily.

No comments:

Post a Comment