Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Book #36: What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

I have checked this book out from the library three different times without reading it. For some reason it looked bigger than it actually was, intimidating enough that I felt like I needed a significant commitment to start it, and I never felt that. So when I finally did start it yesterday, I was excited to find that I couldn't put it down and finished it within 24 hours of starting it. The book is about Alice, who falls down and hits her head and loses ten years of her memory, waking up literally thinking that it's 1998 and that she's pregnant with her first baby. She is surprised and horrified to find that in the present day, she's alienated from her sister and old friends, has three kids, and is getting a divorce from her beloved husband Nick. The book follows her discovering all the things that she did that she's forgotten and her decisions of what to do to fix them.

I really enjoyed this book. I think part of the reason I never picked up this book in the first place was because I knew it had to do with her getting a divorce from her husband, which always leaves a sad taste in my mouth (I don't love reading about divorces). But I loved Alice's personality and how she dealt with this new experience, and how she began to work things out. I thought the other story about her relationship with her sister, and Elisabeth's journey through infertility and how it changed her dealings with her, was heart-wrenching and sad and real. I also liked that things didn't work out magically and get fixed all of a sudden, but that it took some time for her to put things back together. This book was definitely worth the read for me and I'm glad I FINALLY checked it out (it's one that seemingly everyone has read except me).

No comments:

Post a Comment