Saturday, May 13, 2017

Book #42: Still Alice by Lisa Genova

I started this tonight and just plowed through it in one evening. I didn't expect it to be as compelling as it was. I knew the main premise because of the movie--following a woman as she is diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease--and I thought the book does an excellent job to depict what would happen to someone in that situation. You can feel Alice's desperation and fear and sadness as she notices what is going on and as her symptoms degenerate. I liked how there were some positive aspects to the disease too--that it seemed like her relationships with her family members changed in a positive way because of her diagnosis. Her family got closer and she healed some problems between her and her daughter, and she re-prioritized her life (which seemed inordinately heavy on her career and less on her family, which always seems sad to me). Overall, it was a definitely wrenching book to read--although I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly it went and how easy it was to read--and it was also wrenching to imagine how it plays out in real life, and I am definitely interested in watching the movie now too.

No comments:

Post a Comment