Thursday, August 3, 2017

Book #79: The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines

Like everyone under the sun, I have watched and loved Fixer Upper, and loved Chip and Joanna Gaines. I've also made the pilgrimage to Waco (which everyone under the sun has also done if you live in or travel to the Dallas area) to visit their shop at the silos. But I'm not like a super-fan or anything, I only watched whatever episodes were on Netflix and whatever I've happened to see at the gym while working out. But Chip and Joanna have always impressed me as the real deal, cute parents with a cute family who are hardworking and relatively normal, living in a pretty average town (Waco is really nothing special, even if they make it look like heaven on earth on their show). It was fun to read more of their backstory in this book, and hear about how they met and started off their marriage. I can't imagine Chip's serial entrepreneurship lifestyle working for us--we are wayyyyy too risk-averse and stable. But it was super interesting to read about and see how people do it, because I've always wondered what that's like and how they manage starting new businesses and stuff. That was possibly my favorite part of the book, and hearing about how they got started with the show, and hearing their very distinct voices showing up in the writing. I also liked how open they were about talking about their faith and how they attributed everything to God and revelation. This book was really extraordinarily short, but it was a fun read for anyone who has read and liked the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment