Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Book #81: Lucky in Love by Kasie West

I've read maybe four other of Kasie West's YA romances, and have usually been pretty charmed by them. This one COMPLETELY fell flat for me. I didn't even finish it; I skimmed through the last half because I totally lost interest in it. The premise of it was that Maddie wins the lottery in her one random ticket she bought on a whim, and everything and everyone in her life changes. It was... completely and totally stereotypical. I feel like I've read this exact story before--all the unexpected bad things that happen when someone wins the lottery. Gasp! She wins the lottery and people start asking her for money and cheating her and treating her like she's popular and she makes stupid decisions about her newfound wealth! I honestly don't know why this book even got written, it was so cliche.

The two things I liked about this book were:
-Asian love interest--a nice difference from most YA novels, and appropriate for being in Southern California, where it was like 50% Asian (at my high school)
-Based in Tustin, five minutes from where I grew up, and at the Santa Ana Zoo, which I've visited many times and where I have pictures of Dane riding the exact carousel in the cover. So I was able to picture it all myself and enjoyed that.

But otherwise... not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment