Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Book #120: Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

I love these Armand Gamache books! The e-book expired when I had only about four chapters left to go, so I had to listen to the audiobook and try to run through it as fast as possible to find out what happened next. It was painful to have to go at the pace of the audiobook after I had been reading it.

This book was pretty interesting in that it combined three different mysteries--one major murder that is the main case that Gamache is trying to solve, one ancient mystery about where a 17th century grave is located, and the case from the previous book about Olivier which Gamache is revisiting because of feeling like he missed something. At the same time, Gamache and his second-in-command, Beauvoir, are constantly reliving the recent firefight in which four of their agents were killed and they were both seriously wounded. All of these cases are interwoven so beautifully and they all climaxed around the end at the same time, so you find out what happened to all of them and whodunit for the two murder cases. I really enjoyed the complexity of this story and it totally sucked me in. I still just love Gamache's character--his inherent goodness and respect for others and his courage. Even though this book was about his mistakes--in the firefight and in the case in the previous book--he still holds up with grace and respect for everyone else. I hope all police officers actually have some Gamache in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment