Monday, June 11, 2018

Ramona and her Father and Ramona Quimby, age 8 by Beverly Cleary

I had the brilliant brainwave of getting some Ramona books on audiobook for us to listen to on our trip in California, and it was such a lifesaver. We spent a lot of time in the car, driving into San Francisco and then to Fresno and Visalia and to and around the national parks, and our kids only played on the tablets for maybe 45 minutes of all of that time. They were so happy listening to these books that whole time. I don't know that Graham was really listening or if he understood anything, but he kept asking for us to put "Wamona" on, and Dane was riveted to every word. These are the fourth and sixth books in the Ramona series--I didn't realize that Ramona and her Mother came in between (but I also didn't want to read that one since it was a lot about her parents fighting and the girls wondering if they were going to get divorced. A little too heavy for our five- and three-year-olds.). I love so many episodes in these books--Tommy and I were enjoying listening to them too--like when Ramona and Beezus try to stop her dad from smoking by putting signs all around their house, and when Ramona cracks an egg in her hair. That was something that stuck with me for years--I always remembered that! Anyways, these were such a wonderful part of our trip, I only wish I had brought more with us! (We also listened to Ramona the Brave first, but since I'd already read that with Dane I'm not writing about it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment