Monday, June 18, 2018

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Frank L. Baum

I had never really even considered reading this book, but I kept running across it on "best classics" lists every once in a while and I finally checked it out and listened to it. Much of the book is extremely close to the movie, which everyone has seen and knows by heart, although there's a whole section of the book after the wizard goes up in the balloon and Dorothy has to go find Glinda on her own. This extra section was random and didn't really add that much to the the overall story by any means, so I see why they cut it out of the movie. I didn't really love this book, to be honest, although I think it might be a fun one to read to kids (since it is a children's book, so that's fair). It didn't really have much in the way of character development or even suspense, because each scene was so short and nothing was drawn out or surprising. Even when Dorothy melts the Wicked Witch it literally just randomly happens one day and Dorothy says, "Oh, I'm so sorry!" But it did make me want to watch the movie again.

No comments:

Post a Comment