Friday, September 21, 2018

Henry Huggins by Beverly Cleary

I am so happy that Graham is getting so excited about our chapter books. I think Ribsy is the one that did it for him. The whole last two weeks he has asked me every day, "Can we read where Henry Met Ribsy today?" because that's what I called Henry Huggins the first time I told him about it. We're going to read Henry and Ribsy next because I have to capitalize on this excitement... he's only 3 1/2 so still a little young to be listening but I love it.

This book is a cute story about Henry Huggins and his dog Ribsy. Each chapter is a little episode in their lives. However, reading it right after Ribsy made it feel a little less original. Several things seemed to be exactly the same between the two books. They both have a scene where Ribsy is given a bath and needs to be showered off, and then another scene where Ribsy gets his picture in the paper and someone recognizes him from the picture and finds him. I feel like Cleary shouldn't have made them so similar. But my boys loved it and definitely didn't notice it so oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment