Monday, September 10, 2018

My Oxford Year by Julia Whelan

I've listened to Julia Whelan narrating several audiobooks (and she is fantastic), and then I heard some rave reviews about her novel. So I decided to listen to it. And it was good--well-written, interesting, quick-paced romance. But I was kind of expecting more to it instead of literally just a meet-cute then a I hate you then a "we're in love" sequence. I don't know if the title was misleading--since it's set in Oxford and about a girl achieving her lifelong dream of going to Oxford as a Rhodes scholar--but I thought there would be more about, I don't know, being at Oxford? Ella, the main character, is a literal Rhodes scholar, plus is apparently the best person ever at education policy because she's working on a presidential campaign and they're willing to let her work from England because she's just that good--but her schooling and her job play literally 0% of the storyline other than her mentioning she had to take a call from Gavin once every chapter. I thought this book would be not just about falling in love with your professor after two weeks of being at school and sleeping with him a million times and [SPOILERS] then finding out he has a terminal illness and becoming his actual girlfriend and taking care of him? It seemed wayyyyy too obvious and it annoyed me that there wasn't more to it. I was kind of done with it halfway through but I didn't want to give up once I was already that far, so I finished it. It was good, but not as good as I thought it might be, so my opinion of it is influenced by my unfair expectations, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment