Monday, October 22, 2018

Ignore It!: How Selectively Looking the Other Way Can Decrease Behavioral Problems and Increase Parenting Satisfaction by Catherine Pearlman

The title of this book basically says it all--it provides a program to ignore specific behaviors to improve your kids' behavior (specifically, annoying, attention-seeking behaviors). You're supposed to Ignore (when a bad behavior starts), Listen (to hear when they stop), Re-Engage (once they've stopped), and Repair (have them apologize if necessary or for you to apologize to them if you lost your temper before). I think she had some great points, and I feel like I would have learned more from reading it instead of listening to it, but I don't necessarily know that you need a whole book about this. Maybe a long blog post would have worked fine. She had some great examples and stuff, but I feel like if you read one or two main chapters of this book you could basically get the gist of it.

I am definitely a believer in this tactic, though. This basically goes along with what I was already thinking about from Ralphie's instagram stories on Simply On Purpose, and I know that this can be useful. It's just hard to implement all the time. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm already pretty good at ignoring lots of these annoying, bad behaviors because I honestly don't think that my kids do those things very much. There's not much whining or begging or negotiating or whatever at our house because I never, ever give in to those things. (Except for Lucy, because she still can't really talk and is just a baby... but once they get old enough I am a stickler about those sorts of things.)

No comments:

Post a Comment