Wednesday, May 12, 2021

The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict by the Arbinger Institute

When we were visiting our friends the Busbys in Arizona, Devin told us that he used the ideas in this book all the time in his parenting and it helped him so much. So I immediately decided I should check it out, and our library had an audiobook version of it. I honestly think a hard copy instead of an audio copy would have been more helpful, but I still feel like I got some of the major ideas out of it and I liked the main points made in the book. The book felt kind of annoying in its format, however--it was a fictionalized story about a fictional guy trying to illustrate the points of resolving conflict that the Arbinger Institute is trying to teach about, so it felt kind of weird and fake. I did really appreciate the main points being made and I still think those points are valid, even if they were made in fake ways. (Why not try to tell real stories from real people to illustrate these points? I'm not sure why they needed to go this way.) The main point I remember (since it is much later that I am writing this review) is that we need to view people as people and not as objects. I found a lot of ways that I do that to my children--treating them as objects--and ways that I put myself in a box and act like I can't get out of it. I think this would be a really helpful thing to internalize and do better at in all areas of my life. So 5 stars for information, 2 stars for delivery in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment