Saturday, May 7, 2022

The City We Became by N. K. Jemisin

I saw reviews and people talking about this book for years, and I kept meaning to read it. I actually checked it out from the library multiple times and kept trying to read it and just never got into it. I FINALLY did and I honestly don't know that it was worth all of the energy. I thought the premise just sounded really cool and really wanted to like it, and I did really like some of it--but I really never quite understood what was happening, or the big question of why or how. I felt like some really crucial explanation was missing and I never figured it out. The story was about how some people came to represent different boroughs of New York City as it anthropomorphizes into a living being, and how some evil force/group of people were trying to kill them to stop the city from developing fully. I liked the characters and how they figured out how to work together, and I liked the diversity among the cast of characters. I did feel like it was kind of bashing you on the head with a message, with Staten Island being cast off and being a racist white person who no one else could abide--I don't know, it felt really overt and almost obnoxious. But the overall plot was fun and interesting, but I was legitimately confused about who the bad guys were and why this city development thing was happening in the first place, and I never figured it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment