Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Book #23: The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

I'd read this before, actually. But the last time was probably eight years ago, so I picked it up again and re-read it this week. It tells the story of the Battle of Gettysburg. Each chapter is told from the perspective of different generals or officers, from both armies, and how the entire battle was planned and happened.

Growing up, I for some reason thought of Robert E. Lee as the epitome of evil, as the general of the BAD SIDE of the Civil War. But everything I've learned about him shows that he was the most amazing person who was absolutely worshiped by his men. This book reinforces that, but also shows how human he really was--the Battle of Gettysburg was a big mistake and his right-hand general tried to convince him out of it repeatedly, but he kept going and ended up losing the war partly because of it. Honor was the biggest motivator in this book, and Lee had to keep his honor by not retreating.

Also, Shaara really emphasizes how many people had friends and family on both sides of the war. All of the men who were professional soldiers, who'd attended West Point (which was pretty much all of the major officers), had served together in the U.S. Army before it broke up into two opposing sides. The saddest story in the book (to me) is Armistead (a Southern general) and Hancock (a Northern general) who were best friends and had planned to meet up after the battle.

I'll be honest--I cried the entire last two chapters describing the final attack by the South. (I think it's the hormones.) It's just so pathetic and sad and awful. Especially when Armistead died--that's what did it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment