Sunday, March 17, 2013

Book #13: 52 Small Changes: One Year to a Happier, Healthier You by Brett Blumenthal

I was babysitting at someone's house and saw this book on my friend's side table, and thought it sounded compelling enough to check out at the library. I love thinking about resolutions (even though I've got about a 50% success rate) and this whole book was about different healthy resolutions you should work on! The author is apparently a wellness coach, so theoretically should know what she's talking about. The resolutions all have to do with diet, fitness, mental health, or environmental changes you can make to be calmer, happier, and healthier. I really enjoyed reading all of the changes (or suggestions, as I was thinking of them), and it felt good reading them because I feel like many of them I've already implemented into my life (like drinking enough (or at least more) water or walking more). Many of the changes are the regular resolutions you always think of--eat more veggies, exercise more. But I really think that the author needs to fix her definition of a "small change" because a lot of the changes were actually really intimidating--like eat five servings of vegetables a day in a variety of colors. Seriously? I feel like we're relatively healthy eaters, but it's really hard for us to get more than two servings of vegetables every day (if I'm being totally honest). For the average person, trying to eat five servings of vegetables is a HUGE undertaking--the author would have been better to suggest adding just one more serving of vegetables every day to what you already eat or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment