Monday, October 14, 2013

Book #54: The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer

This Heyer novel is the first one that I've read that doesn't end in a marriage. Instead, it starts with a marriage, one based solely on money and status and "convenience," as the title of the book would suggest, and then the husband and wife grow to love and care for each other after they are married. The Earl of Rule proposes to the eldest Miss Winwood, who is already in love with someone else. So her younger, very fiery and impish sister Horatia goes to talk to the Earl and to offer herself as a wife instead. The Earl is enchanted and accepts that switch and eventually falls in love with "Horry" (what a terrible nickname!), while she gets into some scrapes and needs his help to get out of them. I liked this story, now that I've finished it, but I was bugged by certain points in the story as I went on, like how stubborn and childish Horry was. I also hated how Horry had a stutter--why make the heroine of the book have a stutter? It was obnoxious to read and obnoxious to imagine. But it was funny to read through the comedy of errors (at one point her brother dresses up and gets together with some highwaymen to try to rob someone for her, and it was really hilarious) and I enjoyed it all in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment