Sunday, December 15, 2013

Book #63: Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

After a long, frustrating day with a sick baby who wouldn't nap or go to sleep at night, all I wanted to do was take a bath and read something not taxing. So I picked up Little House in the Big Woods, which I don't think I've read in over a decade. It really, really, really made me happy to revisit this amazing book. I have a soft spot in my heart for these books, as I'm sure millions of other people do as well, after reading them so many times and loving them so much when I was younger. I just remember loving all of the details and stories about how they made their living in those days. It was so fascinating to read about how they ate maple syrup on snow and how Pa smoked their meat in a hollowed out log and how Ma makes cheese out of stuff from the stomach lining of a cow--and it still is pretty fascinating to me today!

Nowadays, with Dane getting into everything and being this crazy baby boy, I always think about pioneers and wonder, "How did they keep their babies alive back then?" Pa was out getting food all day long and working and Ma was busy making the food and all of this crazy housework--how did they ever keep an eye on their kids and keep them from being eaten by wild animals or from falling into a big vat of boiling water? Reading these books still makes me wonder--and it makes me think I would have been a TERRIBLE pioneer woman.

After we get back from our Christmas trip visiting our families, I think I will re-read all of the other books in this series as well. They just make me happy to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment