Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Reading Recap

Well, 64 books in 2013 isn't too shabby! Not quite up to the 80+ that I read last year but I was definitely more busy (than last summer when I was doing nothing and the fall when I was sitting around nursing an infant all day every day).

Here are my favorites from this year:

Fiction: An Assembly Such as This and These Three Remain, The Grand Sophy and Frederica, the LOTR trilogy

Memoir: Global Mom

Non-fiction: Team of RivalsQuiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking

And least favorites: Someday My Prince Will Come, Ella Minnow Pea, The Age of Miracles

If I had to choose a #1 favorite for this year, I would unhesitatingly give it to Team of Rivals. It blew me away by how awesome it was, how I couldn't put it down even though it was a BIOGRAPHY, people! Highly recommend it to anyone remotely interested in history.

I am really proud of myself for reading War and Peace and Tess of the D'Urbervilles, two classics I had never gotten around to but always wanted to. They were also the books that took me the longest to read, because I kept putting them down and procrastinating reading them. I enjoyed them, but they felt more like voluntary homework than fun reading. (I'm still in the middle of a few other books like that that I didn't finish before 2013 was over--hopefully I'll be able to write about them soon!) I do LOVE many classics, but I also love books that are quick reads since I rarely have long chunks of time to read huge heavy books like that any more.

I think I'll keep the same goal that I had for this year: at least one book per week. I'd love to reach 100 every single year, but I feel like I go through stages of wanting to read a lot and then stages of needing to do other things. I'm looking forward to what good things I read in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment