Friday, July 8, 2016

Book #29: The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria Augusta Trapp

I picked up this book at my aunt and uncle's house while we were there, and since, like everyone in the world, I love The Sound of Music, I thought it would be fun to read, and it was. I don't have a ton to say about this book. It was very interesting to learn more about the real Maria and the family, and I loved reading the story about them in Austria. However, the part covered by the movie is only maybe the first 1/3 of the book, and the rest ends up blending together--all about the years of them touring America giving concerts to make money, and buying their farm up in Vermont and turning it into a music camp for the summers. I did like Maria's writing style and how she would sometimes go off on these artistic tangents (like, "Oh, applause! You could write a book on the different types of applause!" and so on for two paragraphs, in the middle of another story), and honestly, I thought she was a very good writer considering that this wasn't her Thing. It was a fun read, but definitely not something I would feel like I need to re-read someday.

Now I feel the need to re-watch the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment