Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Book #54: I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson

I don't remember where I read about this book. I feel like I have read a LOT of books about mothering/parenting lately or in the last few years, and this one didn't stick with me nearly as much as some others. There were some really excellent quotes from General Authorities or well-known authors, though, and those were some of my favorite parts. I also loved Johnson's stories about her personal experiences as a mother and with giving up her fancy career to become a mom (she was a TV anchor until she got married and wanted to have a family). I felt like the majority of what she said in the book was repeating the same theme: You're not JUST a mom, being a mom is worthwhile and awesome even though it's hard! She had a good chapter about not judging other moms too, but most of it ran together and most of what she wrote wasn't distinctive enough or written beautifully enough for me to feel like it was new or for it to really strike me. It was really very short and a quick read, so it was fine--I may not have sat through the entire book if it had been twice as long--but there isn't too much to say about it.

My favorite part was actually a quote by Joseph F. Smith about Eliza R. Snow: "She walked not on the borrowed light of others, but faced the morning unafraid and invincible." I want to get that as commissioned artwork and put it on my wall to look at every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment