Sunday, November 6, 2016

Book #52: For the Love: Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards by Jen Hatmaker

I have no idea why I heard of Jen Hatmaker but for some reason I am now following her updates on Facebook and I think she is super funny. She's a super-Christian Evangelical lady who lives in Austin and writes a blog. This book is a collection of essays kind of similar to funny memoirs that I have read (it reminded me a lot of the Real Moms book I just read from a Mormon perspective, but this is more Evangelical and talks a lot about JESUS IS AWESOME). I liked reading from this perspective and seeing how this Southern-Christian audience thinks and believes. I think a lot of it--the deep, important theological stuff and love of the Atonement--really lines up with LDS doctrine. Some of the essays were really religious and focused, and others were just about fashion concerns or pop culture references, so it was a good balance. She made me laugh several times and I think I will read one of her other books at least. Although I've said I "read" this book, I was actually listening to it in audiobook format, and that's why I can't be any more specific about what I liked/didn't like about it--I can't go back and refresh my memory about it. I listened to it while I was doing some serious cleaning at our house, and planting our new flowers in our front yard, and it was perfect to listen to while doing those sorts of chores with my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment