Saturday, August 4, 2018

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

After reading Unequal Affection last week, it got me on a natural Pride and Prejudice kick and I watched both the Keira Knightley version and Jennifer Ehle version, and then I watched Death Comes to Pemberley on Netflix, and then I needed to re-read the book. There are few books that bring me as much joy as this one. I told Tommy that I think I could be happy re-reading a collection of books every year or so--Jane Austen, Harry Potter, Betsy and Tacy--with a few other books thrown in. There is just so much here to love. Every time people watch the movies, they focus so much on the romance between Elizabeth and Darcy, and the hilarity and ironies of the book become so much less of a focus. But it's impossible not to love that about this book when you read it. I laughed out loud many times while reading this, and I even knew almost every line what to expect. Jane Austen was such a genius that even two hundred years later we can still understand and accept her humor about her characters and their follies, even as we don't understand all of the rules of their society and manners. I think I am going to read Persuasion next and maybe, maybe a few other favorite P&P rewrites.

No comments:

Post a Comment