Tuesday, April 30, 2019

A Separate Peace by John Knowles

I think this is a classic book, but I honestly had never heard of it before. I read it for my book club, and I'm glad it is a book club book, because I feel like I will need to talk about it with someone because I don't know that I really understood most of it. The book is about two boys in a boarding school in New Hampshire in 1942, while the war was coming closer and closer to them and how the war changed everything and began to change and affect everyone, all of the boys. It was also about how the relationship between Gene (the narrator) and Finny (Phineas) soured and was poisoned by Gene's resentment and jealousy of Finny. I kind of hated reading about how Gene acted and how he thought, because it was too close to home in how we all act on our own insecurities sometimes. Both Gene and Finny learn a lot about themselves through Gene's betrayals, and I think that's kind of the point of the book (that, and the terrible effects of war on people). But honestly, I need to see what other people think at book club so that I can figure it out. I didn't love this--it felt a little too depressing to me, and I don't know that it's worth a read again.

No comments:

Post a Comment