Monday, October 21, 2019

Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos

I've heard about Marisa de los Santos's books for years, and always meant to check them out. But our library didn't have an audiobook version of this one, and I for some reason really never got around to actually reading it. But now was finally the right time for this one, and I'm glad I finally did it. It was very, very good. De los Santos is a poet, and you can tell it in her writing--she is very precise in the words she choose and the images she evokes, and I love reading this sort of writing. It's not fancy, but it's beautiful. This book feels like chick lit, because it's fundamentally a love story, but there is a lot more to it--it's about heartbreak and a girl who Cornelia ends up having to rescue, and it is written so beautifully that it feels even bigger too. I love this sort of book, and I loved the characters in this story as well: Cornelia, Clare, and Teo all were so fundamentally good. The only complaint that I really have is a minor one, compared to how much I enjoyed it, and because I wasn't really thinking it while I read it: it just feels kind of unlikely that Cornelia would basically adopt this girl after literally just meeting her, and that they would get along so well, and that then her father would just conveniently die so she doesn't have to resolve that issue, etc. It feels all unlikely after finishing it and looking back, but while I was reading it, I didn't worry about it and enjoyed the story. It was definitely worth a read and such a fun story with a sweet, happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment