Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah

This was a fascinating memoir by Trevor Noah. I realized reading it that this was the most exposure I've ever had to South Africa, which is probably super sad. I knew that Apartheid was bad and Nelson Mandela was imprisoned and got out, and that's about it. I really should learn more. But that's why this book was so fascinating, to learn a little more about Apartheid and about the villages that Noah grew up in and the world he lived in. And it was so interesting to think about how he grew up in that world and somehow is now the host of The Daily Show. I think that would be a really interesting story to find out how exactly he moved from one to the other. I thought his mother seemed like an amazing, tough person, and I liked his portrayal of her. This made me so much more interested in Trevor Noah altogether. 

No comments:

Post a Comment