Thursday, July 23, 2020

The Cafe by the Sea by Jenny Colgan

I loved the setting of this one too--it's hard not to love these Scottish romances with so much beautiful scenery to imagine. This book was set on the tiny (as far as I can tell, imaginary) northern island of Mure off the coast of Scotland. I kind of imagined it being like Iceland. That was the best part of this story--I just didn't really care for the romance of the book, though. I was super bored by Joel and could see no reason why anyone would be attracted to him. Just because he had this damaged past doesn't explain him being a total jerk. I started reading the sequel to this one and just got tired of the Joel issues and stopped. But I liked this first one and thought it was cute. (I have to wonder, though, if Jenny Colgan knows that it takes more than just knowing how to cook to run a food shop... it seems like in this book and in the Cupcake Cafe one they just open it up and everything goes smoothly.) Overall, a fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment